Ok, zucchini noodles! Where have you been my whole life? Recently I’ve been having a love affair with my vegetable spiralizer and making zucchini noodles left and right. I can’t be stopped.
This time I’ve added some grilled shrimp and my all time favorite lemon basil dressing along with some gorgeous cherry tomatoes and some toasted sliced almonds for a nutty finish.
This is a quintessential summer main course, chock full of fresh vegetables and herbs, so delicious! And pretty much guilt free!! Bikini season here I come!
Zucchini Noodles and Grilled Shrimp with Lemon Basil Dressing
- 2 cups basil, stems removed (packed)
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 pound shrimp (26 – 30 count, peeled and de-veined)
- 5 medium-sized zucchinis
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- In a high powdered blender combine basil, 1/4 cup sliced almonds, garlic, shallot, red pepper flakes, 1/2 cup olive oil, red wine vinegar and lemon zest. Pulse on medium until evenly combined and smooth. Season with salt and pepper as needed and set aside.
- Place the remaining almonds in a small skillet over medium high heat to toast. Shake pan every few seconds, until the almonds turn just golden brown. Remove almonds from heat and set aside.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Add shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Cook shrimp for 6 – 8 minutes until fully cooked and pink, and add two heaping spoonfuls of the lemon basil dressing into shrimp and toss to combine. Transfer seasoned shrimp to a clean bowl and set aside.
- Using a mandolin or vegetable spiralizer, cut zucchini into thin spaghetti shaped noodles. Add zucchini noodles to the same pan used for the shrimp and sauté for 1 – 2 minutes over medium heat until just tender. Season the zucchini noodles with salt and pepper and then toss with an additional two heaping spoonfuls of the lemon basil dressing. Turn heat off. Reserve any extra lemon basil dressing for another use.
- Toss seasoned shrimp with the zucchini noodles and cherry tomatoes. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Top with the toasted sliced almonds. Serve immediately.