Can it just stay summer forever? Wouldn’t that be nice? And then we could eat Grilled White Pizza every single day for dinner. How do we make this happen?
I’m always looking for an excuse to make grilled pizza. And some little thing like not having the ingredients for pizza sauce, or a store-bought pizza sauce, will not stop me! White pizza is basically pizza without the red sauce. Instead I use a combination of olive oil and garlic and then top it with copious amounts of cheese and topped it all off with caramelized mushrooms, basil and red onions for some extra crunch. You really can’t go wrong with any form of grilled pizza. Serve it up al fresco with few bottles of vino and it sounds like the perfect night!
- 1 pound store bought pizza dough
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella
- ¼ red onion, super thinly sliced
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
- Shreds of Parmesan cheese
- Fresh baby leaves of basil
- Caramelized Mushrooms
- Prepare a gas or charcoal grill to high heat. Brush the grill with a bit of oil.
- Shape the dough into 2 medium-ish pizzas while on a clean floured surface. Let the dough sit for 5 minutes and then re-form to make sure it’s as big as you’d like. Place the pizza dough on a lightly floured rimless baking sheet, or pizza peel.
- Transfer the dough over to the grill, and slide the pizza dough directly onto the grill. Grill the dough for about 2 minutes with the lid closed. Using a pair of tongs, lift the lid, and flip the dough over onto the other side and cook for about 2 minutes more. The dough should be golden brown with grill marks on both sides.
- Once the dough is cooked, remove it from the grill and place it back onto the baking sheet.
- Brush the olive oil over the pizza and sprinkle with garlic. Arrange the mozzarella, red onions, goat cheese and mushrooms on top and place back onto the grill until the cheese has melted.
- Using tongs, remove the pizza from the grill and season with salt and pepper as needed. Garnish with long strips of parmesan cheese and basil leaves. Slice and serve immediately.