1. When you inevitably have to do all the holiday chores:
– 2 oz rum OR whiskey
– your favorite store-bought eggnog
Mix it up in your favorite cup and sprinkle with grated nutmeg.
2. When your uncle starts a heated political debate at the dinner table:
– 1½ oz tequila
– 1 oz cream
– ½ oz blue curaçao
– 1 oz chocolate liqueur
– ½ oz crème de menthe
Shake and strain into an ice-filled glass.
3. When you need to get away from all the pandemonium:
– 2 cups whole milk
– 3 oz bittersweet chocolate
– 2 tbsp chocolate liqueur
– 1 drop of peppermint extract
– whiskey (optional but highly recommended)
Whisk in saucepan over medium heat. Top with peppermint whipped cream, boozy marshmallows, or a candy cane if desired.
4. When you need a bright refresher during lulls in the day:
– ½ oz triple sec
– 3 oz cranberry juice
Stir well, then fill to the brim with champagne.
5. When you need to top off your evening with something deep and rich:
– 1 Russian imperial stout
– 1 glass of port wine
Mix it, serve it. Add sambuca if you’re adventurous.
6. When your extended family wants to know the intimate details of your love life:
– 1 cup vodka
– 1 cup apple brandy
– 1 bottle sparkling cider
Mix and garnish with sliced red apple.
7. When you’re fantasizing about being somewhere else:
How about cozy Scandinavia?
– 1 cup water
– 1 cup port wine
– 1 bottle inexpensive dry red wine
– lemon peel
– mulling spices
– blanched almonds
Soak raisins in akvavit for 30 min.
Bowl water with mulling spices for 1 minute, then let stand for 10 minutes. Keep the solution warm and add red wine, raisins, and almonds. Add sugar to taste. Take it off the heat and add port wine. Serve immediately.