Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 5 hrs to 6 hrs (low) or 2 1/2 to 3 hours (high)
Italian Braised Chicken with Fennel and Cannellini
pounds chicken drumsticks and/or thighs, skin removed
teaspoon ground black pepper
15 ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
bulb fennel, cored and cut into thin wedges
medium yellow sweet pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
medium onion, cut into thin wedges
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary
teaspoon snipped fresh oregano
teaspoon crushed red pepper
14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes
cup dry white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
cup tomato paste
cup shaved Parmesan cheese
tablespoon snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper. Place chicken in a 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker. Top with cannellini beans, fennel, sweet pepper, onion, garlic, rosemary, oregano, and crushed red pepper. In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, white wine, tomato paste, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; pour over mixture in cooker.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese and parsley.
(Italian Braised Chicken with Fennel and Cannellini)
- Per serving:
- 225 kcal cal.,
- 4 g fat(1 g sat. fat, 1 g polyunsaturated fat, 1g monounsatured fat),
- 68 mg chol.,
- 777 mg sodium,
- 23 g carb.,
- 7 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 25 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet