For Cody’s mother’s birthday we all went to a Japanese Steakhouse. It was my first time at one and I completely fell in love with a simple clear onion broth we were served as a starter.
I couldn’t believe how tasty that little bowl of brown water was (haha)!
As with everything we eat, if we love it, we immediately know that we will eventually do our own recreation of it. This broth was no different.
After some research, planning, cooking and taste-testing, we finally perfected our very own Japanese Clear Onion Soup.
With just 6 simple ingredients, this is the perfect quick and easy starter for your Japanese themed dinner party or if you’re like me, you’ll make it just because you love soup (and because this one is incredibly light and easy).
It isn’t a very substantial soup, but that’s exactly what makes it perfect as a starter.
The best thing about it though, is that there’s hardly any hands on time, as with the majority of our recipes. What I’m trying to say is that you have no excuse to not impress your dinner guests with this cute little soup.
Even something as simple as “Clear Onion Soup” can seem special if you serve it in a pretty bowl and an authentic little spoon.
So, how about a little life update. Being back in South Africa has been fun, but I miss Cody and doing all the Chirpy cooking and shooting together.
One good thing about being back, though, is that we are in the country for the South African Blog Awards!
I’m pretty excited about it! We’re entered into Best Food Blog and Best Photography categories and voting starts tomorrow, 12-01-2016.
It will run until the first week on January and then moves on to be reviewed by judges, with the winner to be announced on the first day of February, 2016.
If you’re reading this, would you mind clicking on the little badge on our sidebar and giving us a quick little vote? We’d love you forever! ♥︎
Japanese Clear Onion Soup
Japanese Clear Onion Soup
- 2 • onions [diced]
- 6 cups • vegetable broth or water [whichever you have at hand]
- 2 • celery stalks [diced]
- 2 • carrots [peeled and diced]
- 2 • garlic cloves [minced]
- handful • button mushrooms [thinly sliced]
- handful • sliced scallions
- to taste • salt and pepper
- to taste • soy sauce and Sriracha
- Sauté the onions in a pot in a little bit of oil until slightly browned.
- Add the carrot, celery, and garlic and 6 cups of vegetable broth/water.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Strain the veggies from the broth and add the mushrooms and scallions before serving.
|Amount Per Serving
|% Daily Value*
|Total Fat 0.3g
|Total Carbohydrate 11.3g
- Vitamin A31%
- Vitamin C18%