Doesn’t that look like dessert with a straw? Yum!
My daughter, Brittany, came up with this recipe in her search for a healthier, low-carb version of a Starbucks mocha frappuccino. Read below to print out my recipe printable for this delicious beverage!
Since we’re following the Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle plan of eating in our home, this is one of the types of beverages that we can enjoy.
You should know that some people may be sensitive to using xylitol as a sweetener (some people get digestive/intestinal upset from it, and dogs are highly allergic to xylitol). Erythritol, however, doesn’t cause intestinal upset, so I really do prefer it and absolutely love Swerve Sweetener, an erythritol-based no-sugar sweetener. Another fun option would be to use a combination of cocoa powder and mesquite powder, something I’d like to try. We’ve liked mesquite powder in everything we’ve tried so far, especially if it includes chocolate! (Mesquite powder gives a yummy hint of caramel flavor to foods.)
Hint: to measure out 1/16 and 1/32 of a teaspoon, I use these amazing measuring spoons!
Healthy Low-Carb Frozen Coffee Drink (Single serving)
- 1 tsp.THM Sweet Blend or 4 tsp. xylitol, erythritol, or sugar-free sweetener of choice (I loveSwerve Sweetener!☺)
- 1/16 tsp. pure stevia extract powder (optional, for more sweetness)
- 1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder (we love Trader Joe’s brand; it just tastes better to us!)
- 1/3 cup (3 oz.) cold coffee
- 3 Tbsp. half and half
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract (learn how to make your own vanilla extract!)
- 1 cup ice
- tiny pinch or sprinkle of salt
- 1/32 tsp. xanthan gum or glucomannan powder (for a creamier texture)
Add all ingredients to blender or Magic Bullet. Blend until smooth. Pour into glass. Optional: top with stevia-sweetened whipped cream and no-sugar chocolate syrup.
Trim Healthy Mama also has additional smoothies and beverages to use for people who enjoy different flavor and taste experiences. My advice for making their beverages and smoothies is this: make it to your own tastes. Do you feel like it needs more salt or sweetener? Or something else? Add in extra amounts of ingredients to make it work for you!