Tender shrimp adds a dose of Cajun persuasion to juicy, fall-off-the-bone chicken. An easy sauce of tomato and seasonings infuses the slow-cooked chicken with a taste of the Caribbean.
Makes: 8 servingsPrep: 20 minsSlow Cook: 4 hrs 30 mins to 5 hrs 30 mins (low) or 2 hours, 15 minutes to 2 hours, 45 minutes (high)
Chicken & Shrimp Jambalaya
- Cut chicken into 3/4-inch pieces. In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine chicken, celery, onion, undrained tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, Homemade Salt-Free Cajun Seasoning, garlic, and salt.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 hours.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in uncooked rice and sweet pepper. Cover and cook about 30 minutes more or until most of the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Before serving, thaw shrimp, if frozen. Stir shrimp and parsley into chicken mixture. If desired, garnish each serving with celery leaves.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, leave the tails on the shrimp.
Homemade Salt-Free Cajun Seasoning
- In a small bowl stir together onion powder, garlic powder, white pepper, paprika, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
(Chicken & Shrimp Jambalaya)
- Per serving:
- 211 kcal cal.,
- 2 g fat
- 88 mg chol.,
- 415 mg sodium,
- 26 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 23 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
From : bhg.com