I distinctly remember one December in college when my dad took me to his office Christmas party at a dinner theatre. I hardly remember the show, but I do remember the buffet which seemed to extend into eternity with overcooked vegetables.
Among the saddest victims were Brussels sprouts and beets. What is it about these beautiful, delicious veggies that makes people use and abuse them? They are delicious. They are rich with nutrients. They deserve another chance. Friends, we must raise awareness.
(Dramatic, I know. But in the name of veggies I go to great lengths.)
I love roasting beets (I share my favorite way to eat them in our downloadable cookbook). But for a quicker version that makes for a crispy, salty snack, these chips are where it’s at.
These beet chips are about as simple as it gets: 30 minutes, 4 ingredients, one pan.
The only other tool you’ll need is a sharp knife or a mandolin for slicing. At the recommendation of my pal Kate, I recently invested in this mandolin. I’m usually incredibly hesitant to invest in equipment we don’t need in order to keep a clutter free kitchen.
But when I recognize I’m missing a tool that could help complete tasks in the kitchen more efficiently, I’m all for it. If you like making veggie chips, veggie pasta and fries, this could be the slim-profile, affordable tool for you.
Another perk of these chips? Beets are extremely healthy for you!
Read all about the benefits over on our Fudgy Beet Cupcakes post (and make the cupcakes while you’re at it).
Flavor wise, these chips lack that “dirty” earthy taste some people despise about beets (i.e. my husband). And the simple addition of rosemary adds an earthy aroma I adore.
Healthy? Flavorful? Fast? Count me in.
You guys are going to love these chips! They’re
Infused with rosemary
And perfect for snacking
I nearly gobbled these up in one sitting – couldn’t resist! Even if you aren’t a huge beet fan, give these a try. I think you’d be surprised how neutral in flavor, yet delightfully crispy they are. Enjoy!
BAKED ROSEMARY BEET CHIPS
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Snack
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free
- 3 medium-large beets, rinsed and scrubbed
- Olive or canola oil
- Sea Salt + Black Pepper
- 2-3 sprigs rosemary, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and place oven rack in the center of the oven.
- Thinly slice beets with a mandolin (or a sharp knife), getting them as consistently thin as possible. They should curl a little when cut. This will ensure even baking and crispiness.
- Divide between two baking sheets and spray or very lightly drizzle with olive oil. Add a pinch of salt and the rosemary. Toss to coat, then arrange in a single layer, making sure the slices aren’t touching.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until crispy and slightly brown. Be sure to watch closely past the 15 minute mark as they can burn quickly.
- Remove from oven, let cool. Then serve.
Serving size: 1/3 of the recipe Calories: 84 Fat: 4g Saturated fat: .7g Carbohydrates: 10gSugar: 8g Sodium: 155mg Fiber: 2g Protein: 1.7g