WHEY BETTER MAC AND CHEESESERVINGS: 4
- 1⁄2 lb whole-grain elbow pasta
- 1⁄2 lb chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 14 oz (1 can) diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup unflavored whey protein powder
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup 1% or 2% milk
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil or canola oil
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened (about 5 minutes). Stir in sausage and garlic; cook until sausage has browned (about 3 minutes).
2. Stir in pasta, broth, tomatoes, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover pan and simmer until pasta is tender (about 12 minutes), stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese, milk and whey protein, and heat until cheese has melted. Serve topped with chopped parsley.