When it’s warm outside, grilling is a go-to method for preparing meals—but the fun doesn’t have to stop with the main dish. Now you can end your barbecue with a rich, diabetes-friendly grilled dessert. Featuring fresh fruits, sweet marinades, and melted chocolate, these are our favorite healthy desserts you can make on the grill.[related_posts_by_tax title=""]
Grilled Plums with Thyme-Infused Honey, Blue Cheese, and Walnuts
Summer is prime season for grilling and for plums, so this diabetic dessert is a natural fit for any barbecue. Topped with thyme-infused honey, crumbled blue cheese, and toasted walnuts, the treat is as beautiful and delicious as it is healthy.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Serving Size: 2 plum halves
- Carb Grams Per Serving:
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 6 ripe, yet firm, large black or red plums, halved (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- 6 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 6 tablespoons walnut pieces, toasted
- In a small saucepan combine honey and thyme; bring to boiling over medium heat. Remove from heat. Set aside to steep 10 minutes.
- Brush cut sides of plum halves with some of the honey-thyme mixture. For a charcoal or gas grill, grill plums, cut sides down, on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes or until warm and marked. Transfer plums to a serving platter, cut sides up.
- Sprinkle warm plums with blue cheese and walnuts. Drizzle with the remaining honey-thyme mixture. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
Servings Per Recipe: 6
PER SERVING: 175 cal., 7 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 6 mg chol., 119 mg sodium, 27 g carb. (2 g fiber, 24 g sugars), 4 g pro.
Other Carb (d.e): 0.5; Fruit (d.e): 1; Lean Meat (d.e): 0.5; Fat (d.e): 1; Mark as Free Exchange (d.e): 0