So, this month is National Grilled Cheese Month. I know what you are thinking–if you are anything like me–every month is grilled cheese month, sucka! But this one is actually on the books and all. That is why I first made this Egg in a Basket Grilled Cheese. Check it out, the pictures alone will make you wet yourself.
But you know me, I ain’t happy unless I’ve shoved an avocado in it somewhere. Hmm…that sounds dirtier than I intended. Anyway, so here you have it…a grilled cheese sandwich using my famous guacamole. Yummers!
- 2 slices of bread
- ⅓ Cup Best Damn Guacamole Ever!
- 5 fresh sprigs of cilantro
- 2 slices of tomato
- ⅓ Cup Cheddar, shredded
- ½ Tablespoon Butter
Yield: 1 f*cking amazing sandwich
Avocado, Bread, Cheddar
Main Course, Sandwich
1. If you are wondering why I used shredded cheese for this recipe, well, it is quite simple. I melt the cheese in the broiler first so that the tomatoes and cilantro get covered in gooey cheese. I also do this because I want the bread to have a certain golden brownness and with the cheese already melted, I don’t have to juggle those two goals–either will you!
2. So take your two slices of bread and place them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Put some cheese on the bread, then add the cilantro and tomato (each on a different slice). Then top with more cheese.
3. Place the tray in the broiler just long enough for the cheese to melt, about 30 seconds or so. The key here is to melt the cheese but don’t wilt the cilantro.
4. Remove the tray from the boiler and smear on some guac. I suggest you use my recipe, I make the best effing guacamole ever!
5. Add 1/2 tablespoon of butter to an iron skillet and melt it over a medium-high heat. Then place the assembled sandwich in the skillet and brown on both sides, melting the cheese further.
Cut it in half, and take a photo on instagram to make all of your friends jealous!