If I’m counting correctly, we have but a few more weeks of bikini season. If I don’t get my bikini time in now, I’ll be blinded by my pale legs all winter log. So, bikinis it is! Yard work in bikinis! Dog walks in bikinis! Grilling in bikinis! Ok, maybe you don’t want to parade around in one, but do you want to eat bikini food with me?
I just ran to the library (not in a bikini) to check out my weekly allotment of 461 cookbooks, and I picked up any cookbook with wintery-themed foods. I tagged a few recipes for warm, hearty stews and other heat-up-the-house dishes for Fall, but it reminded me that I only have a few weeks left to eat light and fresh food this summer. Which is how this Brussels sprout and apple slaw came into my life. How it jumped into a crispy baked cheese cup is a mystery. But, I have never in my life regretting added cheese to a recipe, so it’s a go!
I grated Tillamook® Medium Cheddar Cheese fresh from the block (don’t use pre-shredded cheese..it’s coated in weird stuff that hinders the melting process). I made neat little piles on a silicone-lined baking sheet, popped them in the oven, and then draped them in mini muffin cups. While they cooled, I made a quick and easy slaw with shaved Brussels sprouts and apples. The dressing is Greek yogurt, honey and a kick of Dijon. I adore it.
Toss, toss toss.
I stirred in a handful of golden raisins at the end to amp up the sweetness in the salad. The slaw is great on its own, but once it was paired with the salty cheese cups, it needed more sweetness. They added the perfect touch.
Sorry about the wet hair.
You can find all of the ingredients to make this at Safeway. And you can also win a $100 store gift card by entering in their Summer Sweepstakes. There are five winners a day from August 5ththrough September 5th. Enter here now!
Brussels Sprout Apple Slaw in Cheddar Cheese Cups
- 8-ounce block Tillamook® Medium Cheddar Cheese
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil (or canola)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 1 medium apple (any kind you like)
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Grate the cheese. Make 1 ½” piles of it on a silicone lined baking sheet. It’s best to slightly pack the cheese into a ball in your hands before placing it on the baking sheet. Bake for 13 minutes. The cheese should melt entirely. Remove the sheet from the oven, and let it cool for 30 seconds or so, just so you can slide a spatula underneath it easily. Move the cheese quickly to mini muffin cups to shape into little bowls. You don’t have to do this—you could serve the slaw on flat cheese crisps, too.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, mustard, oil, honey, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Next, use a mandolin to shave the Brussels sprouts. You could also use the slicing disk for your food processor, or slice thinly with a knife. Slice the apple into thin slices, and then cut into matchsticks, removing the core and seeds as you go. Add the Brussels sprouts and apples to the bowl with the dressing, and toss to coat.
- Scoop the slaw into the cheese cups, and serve.
This post is sponsored by Safeway, Inc. They provided me with certain brands of ingredients, and paid for my recipe development skillz. All opinions, words, photos, and ideas in this post are my own. Thanks for letting me partner with brands to feature products that I already use in my kitchen. It helps keep the lights on ‘round this place
Source : www.DessertForTwo.com